Discovery Island Timeline
1784- Discovery Island is explored by the royal exploring ship the HMS Discovery under the command of Captain Vancouver.
1846- Discovery Island is named after Captain Vancouver's ship the HMS Discovery.
1862- Discovery Island is used by First Nations to escape the smallpox epidemic.
June 10, 1863- First Nations reserve established.
September 7, 1858- A American paddle steamer Sea Bird sailing out of
1886- The island's first lighthouse is built on Pandora Hill. And The government appointed an old man Richard Brinn to be the first lighthouse keeper.
1893- The original fog alarm bell is replaced by a louder steam alarm plant. however the original fog alarm bell building is not demolished until the 80s.
April 9 1902- Mary Ann Croft is appointed the lighthouse keeper. She was the very first female lighthouse keeper in
25 March 1911- Mary Ann Croft receives "equal pay for equal work" of $1200 a year.
1918- Captain E.G. Beaumont buys half of Discovery Island.
1932- Mary Ann Croft retired at 67 as the lighthouse keeper after 46 years at the lighthouse and moves to
September 1939- A WW2 signal station is built on the highest point of pandora hill the 8.41 acre property was bought from Captain E.G.
July 3, 1945- After the war the WW2 signal station on the island is shutdown and the property and the buildings are sold back to Captain E.G. Beaumont.
December 6, 1950 - Captain Beaumont's Discovery Isle sinks in enterprise channel Beaumont's engineer Robert Gale drowns and Captain Beaumont barely makes it ashore.
July 1951 - Captain Beaumont christened the Dscovery Isle II built at Nicholson boatyards, and was later donated in his will to the Royal Victoria yacht club where it was used as a club vessel for many years.
1967- Captain Beaumont dies at the age of 92. He had lived on the island for 50 years.
1972- The southern part of the island is established as Discovery Island Provincial Marine Park.
1978- The new tower and some of the adjacent buildings are built.
January 1996- The Discovery Island lighthouse is de-staffed and automated.
September 3, 2004- The foghorn at the Discovery Island lighthouse is deactivated and removed from the station.
May 2012 - Present- Lone wolf takes up residence on Discovery Island, the park is closed and attempts to trap the wolf are made but are unsuccessful, it is decided to reopen the park, the wolf has so far proven safe to humans, but people are told to keep their distance, pets however are not permitted on the island for the immediate future.